Employment & Internships
Challenger Learning Center Manager
CLC Manager is responsible for management and facilitation of all programming activities of the Challenger Learning Center at Chabot. The CLC Manager must have excellent leadership and teaching skills. Responsibilities include programming and daily operations, staffing schedules, budgets, and procurement.
- Manage daily operations of Challenger Learning Center, including maintaining operational capabilities of equipment and software
- Work with a wide variety of users on an ongoing basis, i.e., teachers, parents, students, school administrators, the corporate community, event guests, etc.
- Responsible for curriculum alignment to state educational standards
- Plan and conduct CLC programming including school, birthday, and public missions, teacher workshops, corporate team building missions and special events.
- Plan and conduct training for staff and volunteers working in CLC.
- Participate in simulator testing and updates of programming or hardware.
- Participate in ongoing training in aerospace education.
- Perform duties necessary to make the CLC a successful, effective and meaningful program.
- Work with Institutional Advancement on fundraising proposals and requests.
- Represent Chabot at annual Flight Directors Conference; act as the primary liaison with Challenger Center Headquarters.
- Send monthly reports to CLC HQ and maintain these records. Keep accurate records of attendance and evaluation data.
- Assist in developing, marketing and implementing education events and school field trips, etc
- Assist in developing and monitoring budget expenses and revenues.
- Attend regular departmental, instructors, and staff meetings.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills; dynamic, outgoing, and creative personality. Theatrical training/experience, a plus.
- Science, math and/or technology background preferred.
- Highly competent in use/maintenance/troubleshooting of Macintosh computers and media hardware and software used in Challenger Missions.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and communicate effectively with both children and adults.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in the work environment.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial capabilities.
- Ability to work well with staff, vendors, and volunteers.
- Available to work flexible schedule including occasional evening, holiday and weekend shifts.
- Must be able to move around all areas of the CLC rooms, lift items up to 40 pounds, use ladders to access network wiring etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferably with education and/or science background.
- Minimum of three years education experience required; comfortable with hands-on approach to learning.
- Management/supervisory experience with staff and volunteers.
- Experience with teacher training and program and curriculum development.
- 2 to 4 years experience as a CLC Flight Director or CLC instructor desirable.
Salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.