Employment & Internships
Sales & Events Coordinator
In support of Chabot Space & Science Center’s strategic plan and department goals and objectives, the Sales & Events Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of cultivating, selling, booking, scheduling, coordinating and delivering Chabot’s facility for public and private rentals. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Visitor Experience, this person will be proactive and demonstrate a can-do positive attitude. The ideal candidate will be excellent at communicating, highly organized, possess excellent customer service skills, detail oriented and be able to work with all levels of staff. Must be able to juggle multiple projects at one time and remain calm under pressure. This role will help identify and deliver new and returning sales opportunities and create unforgettable experiences for clients in support of the day-to-day delivery of “Wow” customer service. A flexible schedule is required including nights and weekends.
The Sales & Events Coordinator is an integral position within the Visitor Experience Department. As an institution with over 130 years of rich history, this role will be a component of a dynamic, hardworking and fun team that collaborates with multiple departments to promote sales and achieve and/or exceed earned revenue budget projections for facility rentals.
- Actively promote the use of Chabot Space & Science Center as a rental facility, including conducting walk-throughs with potential clients, explaining all available rental spaces and activities, upselling offerings as appropriate, developing new sales packages and helping clients envisage the Center as a perfect venue for their event.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and professionalism when communicating with clients including responding promptly to telephone, email and in-person inquires; following up with phone calls and confirmation letters to ensure clients are well informed of event times, bookings and policies & procedures; write and/or make thank you calls to appropriate individuals or groups following each event.
- Plan, coordinate, communicate and oversee event logistics (both internally and externally) including room reservations, timeframes, resources, staffing and services for event to ensure a well-coordinated and positive visitor experience.
- Maintain liaison with clients and partners to ensure facility is properly prepared and resolve problems before, during and after events. Aid in problem solving efforts as appropriate by communicating and documenting any actions taken and report out to Senior Manager, Visitor Experience and other appropriate personnel.
- Prepare and manage client payments and contracts, including booking deposits to reserve space and event dates, following up on payments, and entering revenue into Chabot’s internal sales databases. Follow up as necessary to receive timely payment from clients as well as signed contracts.
- Report out on events, event types, attendance, lessons learned and recommended improvements after each event. This may include the management of client surveys for facility rentals and reports on how clients heard about Chabot, the effectiveness of marketing tools, a breakdown on attendance & types of groups, and Chabot geographic catchment.
- Develop and maintain a working relationship with third party partners and vendors. This includes, but is not limited to, identifying and reviewing sales add-ons from Chabot’s Gift Store and Café, tracking and reporting on agreements with preferred caterers, and assisting in the preferred caterer RFP process.
- Work in partnership with other Chabot team members to plan, coordinate and deliver public Chabot events.
- Maintain an inventory of all supplies and materials related to facility rentals – including, but not limited to, tables, chairs, linens, dishware, etc., and help manage laundry needs as required.
- Prepare, monitor and submit weekly, monthly and quarterly sales forecasts, budgets and earned revenue reports. Assist in the annual budget process and create & customize reports as needed.
- Target potential leads and participate in outbound cold calls, trades shows and conferences. Develop strategies for reaching key markets including, but not limited to, Weddings, Corporate, Tourism & Travel, Parks & Recreation, High School and Youth Groups & Organizations. Coordinate with Senior Manager, Visitor Experience to target potential leads and develop sales strategies and communication tools to maximize awareness and attract new businesses.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of competition and market conditions.
- Reviews marketing materials and appropriate website pages and submits updates regularly.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of Chabot’s policies and procedures and follow all Chabot safety regulations.
- Additional responsibilities to include cross training coordination of other sales activities (i.e. Birthdays and Scouts), planetarium operations, front desk ticket sales and promoting other Chabot events and programs.
- Other projects and duties as assigned, by Senior Manager, Visitor Experience.
- Outstanding customer service skills; ability to instill confidence with clients is key.
- Strong sales and negotiation skills, resourcefulness to conduct independent research and gather information to fully understand the market.
- Must be able to work independently, take initiative and possess excellent follow through skills while juggling multiple projects.
- Highly organized and able to anticipate, initiate, prioritize and manage multiple tasks in meticulous detail.
- Professional demeanor and presentation including phone etiquette and personal appearance.
- Flexibility and willingness to serve as support for various projects as needed; a can-do attitude is a must
- Excellent time-management skills; both personal and project based.
- Ability to anticipate, identify and resolve conflict and issues independently, think creatively and offer solutions; must be able problem solve quickly and efficiently for last minute adjustments with clients or internal staff.
- Minimum 1- 3 years experience in retail sales, and/or hospitality/hotel/convention center/museum/theater or related fields.
- Exceptional communications skills required; listening, verbal and written.
- Must be computer literate; MS Office - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, as well as be able to master TicketMaster VISTA software or Blackbaud reservation database software to record all bookings and create management reports.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Strong familiarity with the use of office equipment (computers, copier, fax, phones, etc.)
- Previous experience working with the public.
Hourly salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.