Employment & Internships
On-Call Science Instructor
The primary responsibilities of this position are to teach science classes and workshops on an on-call basis during days, evenings and weekends for various audiences participating in Chabot Space & Science Center educational programs, both onsite at the science center and offsite during outreach programs delivered in the community.
- Teach science education classes for visiting field trip groups.
- Lead birthday parties, scout programs, and public workshops
- Lead day and night time nature hikes for visitors of various ages.
- Lead Challenger Learning Center space simulation missions.
- Teach science education classes, lead science festival activities,
and deliver live planetarium shows using a portable planetarium at
school sites and at other community locations.
- Work with lead Science Instructors and Managers to do the following:
- Continue to develop and improve skills and knowledge in various
science content areas and teaching pedagogy
- Insure that classroom content delivered meets state
and national science standards.
- Set up appropriate classroom learning environments
- Maintain an adequate inventory of program supplies
- Maintain classrooms, labs, prep and storage areas
- Work closely with the Education Programs Coordinator to stay current on the education program schedule and visiting group logistics.
- Work collaboratively with other staff and volunteers to insure outstanding visitor experiences.
- Perform other duties as required
- On-Call Science Instructors may report to the Senior Manager of Visitor Experience and Education, the Education Manager CLC or one of the Science Education Leads depending on area of expertise and priority area of work.
- This is an hourly, non-benefited position.
- Requirements include knowledge of various science content areas, demonstrated skills with teaching science programs, an ability to work well with children, teens and adults, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to teach science concepts to a wide range of ages and abilities.
- Ability to speak in front of various audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of formal and informal science education best practices
- Ability to model excellent teaching practices
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to integrate technology appropriately into coursework
- Bachelor’s degree in science, education, or related subject with a minimum of three years teaching experience
- Excellent classroom management, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate with Chabot staff and volunteers
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively participate in department and cross-departmental project teams
- Available to work a flexible schedule
- Computer literate
- Ability to maintain orderly teaching prep and classroom spaces
- Curriculum development experience a plus.
- Ability to communicate and deliver programs in different languages (especially Spanish) a plus.
- Chabot Space & Science Center is an equal opportunity employer.
Hourly salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.