Employment & Internships
Visitor Experience Manager
Chabot Space & Science Center seeks an experienced hands-on manager who is responsible, dynamic, flexible and customer service driven as its Visitor Experience Manager. The ideal candidate is outgoing and creative, innovative and an exceptional problem solver. Strong ability to motivate and inspire sales teams in providing a "wow" experience for public visitors in support of Chabot's mission and achievement of its strategic goals.
Primary responsibilities include analysis and reporting on earned revenue, visitor attendance while delivering an exceptional experience through all sales operations and channels. This role oversees and manages the day-to-day functions of the sales operations including ticket sales/box office, facility rentals, birthdays, scouts and group sales activities as related to the box office. Develops and manages team budget. Manages and takes direct responsibility for logistics and production of Chabot events; internal, public and private. Collaborates and communicates cross departmentally to achieve an excellent visitor experience. Provides training, mentoring and inspiration to sales teams to meet or exceed organizational goals. Provides onsite management and customer service to ensure a positive visitor experience. A typical day might consist of selling tickets, greeting visitors, running a birthday activity, ushering and running a planetarium show, running reports and presenting to management. In addition, planning for schedules in advance, developing a training program and attending and reporting out to staff at meetings and through daily manager’s reports. This role requires a visionary and someone who can craft a vision for the front line staff and provide excellence in customer service and deliver upon those goals. Collaborates with Senior Manager of Visitor Engagement, providing visitor feedback, surveys as well as input for engagement activities from operational perspective. The individual in this role will be required to work evenings and weekends.
Manager on Duty Responsibilities
- Set up cash drawers for daily operation. Assume responsibility for opening and closing the box office and securing all assets. Follow all box office closing procedures including cash register closeout, securing funds in the safe, and signing in radios and box office keys.
- Perform cash management and basic accounting, and maintains sales records.
- Oversee compliance of cashiers within shift in accordance with established Company policies and standards, such as safekeeping of company funds and property, personnel practices, security, sales, and record-keeping procedures.
- Balance the departmental change fund on a regular basis.
- Conducts facility walkthroughs to engage with visitors and proactively solve issues to ensure a safe and fun day for all.
- Demonstrate knowledge of planetarium programs, memberships, exhibits, birthday parties, group sales, scout programs, facility rentals, school programs, and special events and oversee scheduling of staff to deliver.
- Demonstrate capability to maintain and report from ALTRU Ticketing software.
- Demonstrate up-sale of memberships and advanced tickets sales. Run reports as assigned.
- Promote and monitor excellent quality of service among staff through training and by recognizing outstanding performance and service. Contribute to training meetings and exercises by identifying the team’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Be personally available to visitors to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns. Maintain training standards to ensure both product and systems expertise that will improve box office operations and allow for better customer service.
- Provide on-going communications to staff via weekly emails, in-person check-ins, and newsletters and develop and implement regular trainings and appreciations.
- Ensure team provides visitors with a clean, fun and friendly atmosphere in the Discovery Lab.
- Allocate daily assignments within the shifts; ensuring that the Box Office, Planetarium and Discovery Lab requirements are covered during operating hours; fill in for staff as required during breaks and other absences.
- In compliance with labor laws, coordinate daily rest and meal break schedule for Visitor Experience Staff.
- Submit Attendance reports to management and partners as needed.
- Perform special projects as assigned
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Strong sales and negotiation skills, resourcefulness to conduct independent research and gather information to fully understand the market.
- Highly organized and able to anticipate, initiate, prioritize and manage multiple tasks in meticulous detail.
- Excellent time-management skills; both personal and project based.
- Excellent people skills; ability to instill confidence with clients is key.
- Professional presentation including phone etiquette and personal appearance.
- Responsible, outgoing and friendly, with exceptional people and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office suite including Excel, Word, Outlook and Access.
- Knowledge of Vista/ ALTRU ticketing systems a plus.
- Ability to work nights & weekends.
- Ability to operate a computerized cash register. Knowledge of basic cash management procedures.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Ability to handle customer concerns/questions in a timely manner.
- Desired skills: Strong hands-on management experience, exceptional customer service, proven ability to train and motivate teams, analytical skills, ability to prepare and present reports, excellent speaking and listening skills, creativity, outstanding customer facing presence, innovative problem solving abilities
- A Bachelor's degree in Business operations, Management, Marketing, or a related field.
- Management/Supervising experience required. Minimum of 3 years experience in Retail Sales Operations, Customer Service, Theater, Box Office Management, Amusement Park, B2C management, or any equivalent combination of experience.
Salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.