Ways to Participate
There are so many ways that volunteers contribute to Chabot!
Join your fellow volunteers to deepen your knowledge. Subjects cover a broad range of science topics from astronomy and physics to biology and the environment. Talks are usually held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month from 7-9pm. See the weekly volunteer briefings for details. You can also find summaries of past talks here.
These meetings are your chance to interface with the staff and fellow volunteers that make Chabot run. Come share your ideas, learn what's coming next, and gain the skills needed to bring our visitors the best experience possible. All volunteers are welcome, watch the weekly briefing for upcoming dates.
- Education Bling Squad: This group focuses on how we can we can best deliver educational content to our visitors. Staff participants include folks from our education department, exhibits team, and facilities team.
- Observatory Deck Working Group: This group has a strong astronomy focus and discusses everything related to our telescopes and deck. From programs to maintenance this is the place to have your questions answered. Staff participants include our staff astronomer and members of the exhibits and facilities teams.
The trainings below are mandatory for all volunteers to take at least once. They are offered periodically throughout the year, accommodating varying schedules. We also offer an array of optional trainings that will help you gain new skills. See the weekly briefing for upcoming dates.
- Safety Training - What should you do in the event of an earthquake, if you encounter a lost child, or are faced with a medical emergency? Learn how to keep our visitors and yourself safe while at the center.
- Customer Service Training - Learn how best to handle difficult situations in order to provide our visitors with the best experience possible.
Ever wonder what Chabot’s Galaxy Explorer teen volunteers are up to? We love when adult volunteers get involved in mentoring (and in turn learning from) the younger volunteers. Contact the Galaxy Explorers Staff if you'd like to get involved with these amazing students!
Among other things, these teens participate in special interest teams, and now you can too! Come to a GE meeting with the teens, or join as an expert guest speaker/mentor and teach them what you know.
- Astronomy Team: This team explores the wonders of the universe for advanced astronomy students. Participants engage in observations through the team's personal telescope on Friday evenings.
- Enviro Team: Inspire minds of all ages care about planet earth. Participate in environmental activism workshops, community events and Kids Go Green public awareness days. This year with the support of a grant from Altamont, Galaxy Explorers focused on developing an interactive kiosk to accompany the stop waste trash sorting stations.
- Planetarium Team: Develops and delivers live and pre-recorded portable digital planetarium shows. They train to use the Cosmic Ray Planetary Theater and develop and practice planetarium shows. Students are currently developing planetarium shows to present at the museum for the public.