Employment & Internships
On-Call Science Instructor
The primary responsibility of this position is to teach science classes on an on-call basis for visiting school groups (primarily K-5) participating in the Chabot Space & Science Center Field Trip Program.
- Work with Lead Instructors to insure that classroom content delivered meets state and national science standards
- Maintain skills and knowledge in content and pedagogy
- Work with Field Trip Coordinator to confirm teaching schedule and other visiting group logistics
- Help maintain classroom environments, prep and storage areas
- Work with Lead Instructors to insure adequate inventory of program supplies
- Set up appropriate classroom learning environments
- Maintain records related to school programs as needed
- Work collaboratively with other staff and volunteers to insure outstanding visitor experience
- Perform other duties as required
- Chabot On-Call Instructors report to the Education Manager.
- Requirements include knowledge of content areas and best practices in science education, ability to work with children and adults, and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to teach science concepts to a wide range of ages and abilities.
- Ability to speak in front of various audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of formal and informal science education best practices
- Ability to model excellent teaching practices
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to integrate technology appropriately into coursework
- Bachelor’s degree in science, education, or related topic
- Minimum of three years teaching and curriculum development experience
- Strong classroom management skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to collaborate with education staff and volunteers to support and enhance instruction
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to effectively participate in department and cross-departmental project teams
- Available to work a flexible schedule
- Computer literate
- Ability to maintain orderly teaching prep and classroom spaces
Hourly salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.