Employment & Internships
Science Education Intern
Applications are currently being accepted for Science Education internship positions at Chabot Space & Science Center in Oakland. This position is focused on science education and sustainability. Please submit a completed online application, cover letter and resume.
- Science Education – Work closely with the Education Team and assist in classrooms on topics such as Astronomy, Environmental Education, Life Sciences, and more.
- Sustainability Education – Help maintain Chabot's small organic garden and worm composting bins. Ensure there are edibles growing for the use of our classroom programs and workshops.
- Recycling and Solid Waste Education - Run Zero Waste Lunch Program during lunches Wednesdays – Fridays to help educate visitors (especially visiting students and families) about waste diversion through reuse, recycling and composting.
- Public Programs and Special Groups - Assist as needed with engineering challenges, public programs such as Nightschool, and evening telescope viewing during special astronomical events.
- General –
- Create a welcoming environment for learning by engaging visitors with enthusiasm and responsiveness
- Research further ways to improve Chabot’s education and sustainability endeavors.Attend staff meetings and help run staff challenges (such as the commuter challenge).
- Assist with laboratory set-up and clean-up to help maintain a safe environment.
- Engage in professional development and research to ensure that your supporting information is accurate.
- Optional - Create your own activities to teach the public or school groups about current science topics.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Experience working with children (preferably in a group, camp, or team environment).
- Strong interest in multiple science topics and science education.
- Comfortable speaking and leading activities for large and small groups of youth.
- Comfortable working with waste and recycling.
- Prefer candidates with majors in Education or Science.
- Be able to work part time (10-20 hours/week) and during lunch hour (between 11:15AM and 12:15PM) at least two days per week Wednesdays – Fridays. Flexibility to work nights and weekends also a plus.
Note: This is an unpaid internship with the possibility of a stipend pending satisfactory completion of the first 100 hours.
Please send cover letter, resume, and any questions to:
Email (preferred method of contact): firstname.lastname@example.org
Chabot Space & Science Center?
10000 Skyline Blvd., Oakland, CA 94619?
phone: (510) 336-7351
fax: (510) 336-7491
This position pays a stipend upon completion of specific tasks.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.