Employment & Internships
Youth Development Instructor
Under the supervision of the Youth Development Manager, the Youth Development Instructor supports Chabot’s two teen development programs. "Champions of Science" is an afterschool enrichment program for Oakland Unified School District middle school students who come from historically underrepresented backgrounds. CoS has two primary goals: (1) to interest and retain students' knowledge and excitement in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) subjects and potential careers at a critical time in adolescent development; and (2) to create a pipeline to Chabot's high school community service and internship program, the Galaxy Explorers.
The Galaxy Explorers represent Chabot Space & Science Center on-site and throughout the greater Bay Area. Galaxy Explorers perform live public science demonstrations, explain interactive exhibits, present science theater productions, and perform outreach to the community. The GE Program provides leadership experiences in STEM for 9th-12th grade teens through volunteer work. At all levels, students develop work-based skills and experience while providing meaningful community service to others.
The Youth Development Instructor has primary responsibility for the Champions of Science Program and will deliver afterschool programs two days per week during the academic year, two weeks of enrichment during the summer months and weekend programs on a quarterly basis. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Development and delivery of the STEM content for the CoS program
- Recruitment and tracking of participants
- Communication with parents and community partners
- Scheduling of programs, food and transportation
The Youth Development Instructor also aids with the supervision, training and mentoring of Galaxy Explorers including scheduling, training and coordination. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Observing and directing student behavior inside or outside of the classroom according to approved procedures.
- Reporting progress regarding student performance and behavior to the Youth Development Manager.
- Serving as a mentor and role model for Galaxy Explorers by modeling mature, responsible behavior and positive visitor interaction.
- Assisting the program manager with the collection and maintenance of records and data relevant to disciplinary actions, complaints and operating problems.
- Maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Supervising, training, and scheduling youth interns and volunteers.
- Conducting program evaluation and completing reports.
- Participating in evening and weekend outreach programs
- Experience working with teen audiences
- Ability to teach/learn science
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent follow-through skills
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to deal tactfully and effectively with students, parents, board, staff, public; team player
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- A valid driver’s license with a good performance record.
- Knowledge of child labor laws helpful.
- Advanced computer literacy. Demonstrated skill in word processing techniques and applications to include spreadsheets, text editing, data entry, graphics programs, web publishing, and electronic presentation applications (e.g. Microsoft Office, Photoshop, Illustrator, Social networking, robotics, etc.)
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment handling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Familiarity with camera and video equipment a plus
- Theater background a plus
This is a part-time position. Hourly salary is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.