Employment & Internships
Visitor Experience Sales Manager
Chabot Space & Science Center is seeking a skilled sales manager who thinks ROI, Fun and Science go naturally into the same sentence. In support of the organization’s Strategic Goals, the Visitor Experience Sales Manager is highly skilled, hands-on manager who can think creatively and deliver exceptional and fun sales programs to build loyalty, repeat business and attract new audiences.
The successful candidate is a clever and creative strategic thinker, a customer focused analyst and has a passion for helping to inspire the next generation of science leaders. Your idea of fun is delivering on and creating new sales programs which will attract new audiences through the generation of earned revenue through multiple sales channels, including but not limited to Facility Rentals, Corporate Events and Team Building, Group sales, Birthdays and Scouts programs. The ideal candidate is creative, clever and a “go-getter” who has a zeal for bringing space, science and fun to the masses. And will help shape and deliver public sales programming coupled with exceptional customer service to build repeat business and word of mouth buzz.
Reporting to the Director, Visitor Experience, this role has direct responsibility for management and budgetary accountability for all aspects for Chabot’s sales programs. Provides leadership and day-to-day management for the Sales & Events Coordinators, including goal setting and monitoring results. Reviewing ROI for existing and new sales programs as well as developing efficiencies and higher margins while maintaining or improving quality. Analyzes and reports on consumer and visitor trends, research and surveys as it pertains to sales programs in the marketplace and competition. Takes an active role in shaping the vision for the sales programs, resource and operations needs, interweaving themes and activities as they relate to exhibitions and public program rollouts as well as working in concert with all departments.
A thorough understanding of Chabot’s audiences for the sales programs is essential to creating a “Wow” experience for new and returning visitors. Position is responsible for management, monitoring, forecasting and reporting on budget for sales programs. As well as analysis and review of sales programs performance in terms of revenue generation and ROI.
- Strategically develop, and implement new sales programs and activities including development, content, budget, and evaluation as well as resources to achieve goals of strategic plan, both for organization and department.
- Manage and supervise sales team including goal setting, path to achievement, training, reviews and monitoring and tracking results.
- Develop creative, clever and profitable sales programs.
- Write and edit compelling copy to attract public audiences , families, scouts, corporate, team building and wedding groups for printed and web based communications.
- Contact, engage, tour, negotiate and sell facility for facility rental, corporate, group events to appropriate audiences for sales programs.
- Develop and manage all aspects of sales programs including taproot modeling, pricing, timing, flow and resource allocation.
- Manage timelines, budgets, schedules, contracts, and operations of sales programs.
- Coordinate with Visitor Experience Manager to ensure appropriate floor staff assignments and needs for sales and group events.
- Oversee training program for Activity Guides as well as specific staff for special events and activities as determined.
- Facilitate center activities and logistics communications with other departments
- Prepare and report on sales programs evaluations appropriate for each program.
- Work with Marketing team to ensure timely information for posting to social media, advertising, and web and digital communications.
- Develop budgets, and forecasts, then monitors, analyses, reviews and reports on monthly and quarterly sales revenues and expenses as well as effectiveness of sales programs for future planning.
- Understand audiences appropriate for each sales program through research, direct interaction, surveys and observation.
- Maintain detailed project files with contacts, correspondence, contracts, logistics, audience research and purchasing documents, reports, and other materials pertinent to each program.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, sales or hospitality.
- 2-5 years experience in one or combination of sales, customer service, retail, restaurant, or hospitality
- 3-5 years progressively increasing management experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership, management and organizational skills
- Creativity and cleverness in order to create and execute dynamic and fun sales programs.
- Ability to think strategically and independently, act tactically and pay strong attention to detail with excellent follow through and follow up skills.
- Ideal candidate is a “People” person, who genuinely enjoys visitors and delivering excellent customer service.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and be decisive under pressure while maintaining a high level of customer service and professionalism.
- Strong customer service & negotiation skills while keeping visitors experience in mind.
- Excellent sales skills.
- Excellent communications skills; written, oral and listening.
- Demonstrated budget experience including analysis and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and complex projects with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think strategically, coordinating resources and major activities at once while analyzing and resolving challenges.
- Strong interpersonal and diplomatic skills; ability to work well with all levels of staff, clients, vendors, partners and volunteers.
- Demonstrated initiative, follow-through and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, prioritize, delegate and work well under pressure.
- Computer literate; proficient in the use of MS Word, Excel, MS Outlook, Ticketmaster Vista or other client relationship database expertise preferred.
- Experience in sales, retail, customer service, hospitality, museum/science center or amusement park industries ideal.
- Schedule flexes based on sales program calendar and schedule, must be available to work daytime, weekends and nights as appropriate and needed.
Salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.