Employment & Internships
Director of Visitor Experience and Education
Chabot Space & Science Center is seeking an experienced senior level Director who thinks Education, ROI, Fun and Science go naturally into the same sentence. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), this role has direct responsibility for management and budgetary accountability for all aspects of both the Education and the Visitor Experience departments.
In support of the organization's Strategic Goals, and under limited supervision the role of this position is to direct all aspects as it relates to a visitors experience at Chabot Space & Science Center, specifically as they relate to education, revenue generation and customer service. Responsibility focuses on driving attendance, outreach (both school and public) and earned revenue through content development and execution for all attractions, programs and activities, for educational and public audiences as well as volunteers, and sales through groups, facility rentals, birthday parties, scout events and special events as they relate to the company’s strategic plan.
The ideal candidate is able to think strategically seeing a long and short range vision for the department and how it relates to the organizational vision and strategic plan. Is creative and clever, focused, hands-on, dynamic and a “go-getter.” This person understands the educational and public audiences, including nuances, behaviors and drivers for a Science Center experience.
- Direct and manage a visitor experience department comprised of attraction (program and exhibit content) development and delivery, educational and public activities content development and delivery, floor staff operations, sales and events team including box office ticketing operations, and volunteer program.
- Oversee and manage contract relationship with third party retail and food vendors. Oversee catering contracts.
- Deliver on brand promise to all CSSC visitors and memorable experience and superior customer service delivery.
- Develop and implement educational visitor experience & growth strategies, plans and activities in coordination with the C.O.O. and all CSSC departments.
- Develop attractions plan, both short-term and long term; coordinating with appropriate departments for funding, sponsorships, marketing, advertising and communications.
- Work with development department providing vision, contacts, and written content on proposals to to secure grant funding. Provide support in relationship management with key funders.
- Development and documentation of processes for visitor programs and activities appropriate to targeted audiences including schools, educators, and families as well as sales and events programs to increase and optimize sales and net revenues.
- Develop annual operating budgets and provide fiscal direction to the department.
- Monitor the budget to actual activity, monthly, and be able to explain variances.
- Create prospective cash flow forecasts for both revenue and expenses.
- Manage personnel development and resolve personnel issues in all areas of responsibility. Evaluate performance and make recommendations for personnel actions; motivate employees to achieve peak productivity and performance. Establish a sales and customer service-focused culture.
- Provide staff support to the Board of Directors for visitor experience, education, sales and growth matters.
- Negotiate, establish, and administer contractual arrangements and procurement proposals for a range of services involving the department.
- Projects as assigned.
Status & Scope:
- Exceptional management of a team with broad scope vision and attention to detail.
- Excellent writing skills for grant application narratives; story development and narration for content creation.
- Knowledge and demonstration of exceptional customer experience, customer behavior strategies and techniques.
- Knowledge and demonstration of communication principles and techniques.
- Experience with brand management and execution and how it relates to science center/museums operations.
- Knowledge and demonstration of revenue budgeting, cost estimating, forecasting and fiscal management principles and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to provide employee development, motivation and performance management.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate projects, educational programs, public programs, public activities and special events.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Previous experience in an educational environment and a customer service focused organization is a must.
- Experience in retail/attraction based operations is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in business, organizational management, communications or related field
- 5-7 years of experience in non-profit organization with a budget of $4M-$10M
- 3-5 year experience in the museum field, business, or related experience.
- 5-7 years of experience in an educational environment, both teaching and administration
- 10+ years of experience in management positions, 4 of which should be in upper management with at least 3 direct reports and at least 7 indirect reports
- Demonstrated leadership, management and organizational skills.
- Ability to think strategically and independently, act tactically and pay strong attention to detail with excellent follow through and follow up skills.
- Ideal candidate is a "People" person, who genuinely enjoys visitors and delivering excellent customer service.
- Strong customer service & negotiation skills while keeping visitors experience in mind.
Please email your resume and a cover letter specifically outlining your desire for this job and your qualification to HR@ChabotSpace.org. You must put the job title in the subject of your email.
Salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.