Galaxy Explorers Apply
Steps to Becoming a Galaxy Explorer
Check that you can meet all the Key Requirements
- Complete program application and parent permission forms
- Attend the Introductory Training (required)
- Attend Content Trainings (1-minimum)
- Participants should have an interest in science, math, or technology.
- Applicants must have completed the 8th grade. Middle school students click here.
- Ability to speak to and work with visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
- A minimum G.P.A. of 2.0 is required in order to participate in paid internship activities.
- Minimum commitment of 44 hours per year.
The Application Process
Applications are accepted year around, but enrollment only occurs four times a year. To apply, complete and return only pages i-iv of the application and the emergency forms. If accepted, you will receive an invitation via email to attend the introductory training.
- Apply Online
(Note to parents: Application must be completed by student)
Download Mandatory Parent Permission Forms
Mail to: Galaxy Explorers
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94619
Introductory, Customer Service & Safety Training
All new volunteers are required to attend the program orientation prior to working in the Center (No exceptions). It's our way of getting your feet wet. You will be introduced to the history of Chabot, safety procedures, customer service skills and ins-and-outs of the program.
There are NO make up sessions or exceptions. Applications are due January, June and September.
If accepted you will receive an electronic invitation to start the mandatory training program.
You must attend at least one content training to learn a task to be performed with the visiting public. You may attend as many as you wish. These are the core training sessions of the program. You will learn how to explain exciting science demonstrations such as dry ice comets and water rockets to name a few.
schedule of Job Trainings will be issued during Orientation.