Employment & Internships
Sales & Events Coordinator
Chabot Space & Science Center has an excellent career opportunity for a highly motivated, detail-oriented professional with a passion for sales. This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who likes to take ownership, deliver excellent customer service, and have fun in their work. The ideal candidate will be able to work a flexible schedule including nights and/or weekends. The Sales Coordinator is an integral position within the Visitor Experience Department and is responsible for all aspects of cultivating, selling, booking, scheduling, and coordinating Chabot’s group sales, birthday parties, scouts and other revenue generating events. This position involves creating an unforgettable experience for new and returning visitors and supporting the day-to-day delivery of “wow” customer service combined with identifying and delivering new and returning sales opportunities.
As an institution with over 130 years of rich history, you will be a component of a dynamic, hardworking and fun team that collaborates with multiple departments to promote sales and achieve or surpass earned revenue budget projections for scout groups and birthday parties.
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Sales Manager, this position is responsible for all aspects of cultivating, selling, booking, scheduling, and coordinating Chabot’s birthday, scout programs, private overnights, group sales and other revenue generating group events. This role will also identify and deliver new and returning sales opportunities fulfilling the company’s strategic plan.
- Responsible for selling Chabot’s birthdays, scout packages, group sales, corporate sales and private overnights, with emphasis on vertical sales. Demonstrates excellent customer service and professionalism when conducting sales calls and facility tours with potential clients.
- Actively promote the use of Chabot Space & Science Center facility as a birthday, corporate/group and scout venue. Promotion occurs in a variety of ways, including personal contact, public speaking, sales calls - in person and through telephone, direct mail, and outreach and website promotion.
- Develop new birthday, scout or other revenue generating programs and map out descriptions, costs, instructions, training and implementation
- Train the appropriate VE team members on the successful birthday, group sales and scout programs and track those who have successfully completed the training and deliver the activity
- Prepares proposals, identifies value-added opportunities for sales clients, outlines: details of proposed functions and books the sale.
- Prepares and manages contract procedures.
- Responds promptly to telephone, email and in-person inquiries from prospects. Follows up with phone calls and confirmation letters to ensure clients are well informed of event times, bookings and Chabot policies and procedures.
- Writes and/or makes thank you calls to appropriate individual or groups following each event.
- Manage and report out on the appropriate surveys for birthday, scout and group sales activities
- Communicates and coordinates with internal teams to book initial sale, confirm space availability, schedule staffing and ensure a well-coordinated and positive visitor experience.
- Responsible for selling Chabot’s traditional group sales as well as develop, sell, oversee and deliver private overnights, corporate team building and specialty group sales
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and professionalism when conducting sales calls and facility tours with potential clients.
- Develop new group revenue generating programs and map out descriptions, costs, instructions, training and implementation and proactively research and contact prospective clients to secure new business
- Respond promptly to telephone, email and in-person inquiries from prospects. Follow up with phone calls and confirmation letters to ensure clients are well informed of event times, bookings and Chabot policies and procedures.
- Books sale and deposits to reserve space/event date, follows up on payments, receives revenue and books revenue into Altru ensuring prompt payment. Follow up as necessary to receive timely payment from clients.
- Develops and maintains reporting process for VE team on how clients heard about Chabot, effectiveness of marketing tools, breakdown on numbers of groups, types of groups and Chabot geographic catchment.
- Assists groups in planning and preparing of activities during visits, aids in problem solving efforts as appropriate.
- Assist internal staff with coordinating logistics, planning, managing, and executing internal public events.
- Prepares, monitors and reports out weekly on sales revenue forecasts and actual reports and with monthly summary report.
- Coordinate with Visitor Experience Sales Manager to target potential leads and develop sales strategy and communications tools to maximize awareness and sales.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of competition and market conditions.
- Reviews materials and appropriate website pages and submits updates regularly.
- Additional responsibilities will include being cross trained in managing and coordinating facility rentals, planetarium operations, front desk ticket sales, group sales, selling memberships, and promoting other Chabot events and programs.
- Other projects and duties as assigned, by Visitor Experience Sales Manager
- Follows all CSSC safety regulations.
- Strong sales and negotiation skills, resourcefulness to conduct independent research and gather information to fully understand the market.
- Must be able to work independently and juggle multiple projects.
- Highly organized and able to anticipate, initiate, prioritize and manage multiple tasks in meticulous detail.
- Excellent time-management skills; both personal and project based.
- Excellent people skills; ability to instill confidence with clients is key.
- Professional presentation including phone etiquette and personal appearance.
- Responsible, outgoing and friendly, with exceptional people and customer service skills.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative and possesses excellent follow through skills.
- Ability to anticipate, identify and resolve conflict and issues independently, think creatively and offer solutions; must be able problem solve quickly and efficiently for last minute adjustments with clients or internal staff.
- Exceptional communications skills required; listening, verbal and written.
- Must be computer literate; MS Office - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, as well as be able to master TicketMaster VISTA Altru software to record all bookings and create management reports.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for long periods of time.
- Minimum 1 to 2 years experience in retail sales, hospitality/hotel/convention center/museum/theatre or related.
- Previous experience working with the public, groups, birthdays, scout leaders preferred.
Hourly salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.