Employment & Internships
Visitor Experience Lead Associate
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager, this highly responsible and visible position will assist with the day-to-day shift operations of the box office, planetarium and Discovery Lab. Responsible for providing excellent customer service through greeting visitors, listening, answering questions, problem solving and assisting visitors with pricing, ticket sales, and center activities. Also, will serve as primary planetarium presenter on weekend evenings, running daily shows, live narrated shows and laser shows.
Working closely with the Visitor Experience Manager, this key role will provide daily box office clerical and accounting support; and event support. This role also is responsible for overseeing the presentation of live planetarium shows, laser shows and requires a working knowledge of AV and technical systems that may require troubleshooting. This position also helps to implements the training for cross functional activities for the visitor experience associates. Shift scheduling (breaks, etc) and supervision during assigned shifts. This role will work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends. Provide necessary support to the Visitor Experience Manager as needed to ensure smooth operation of the team and planetarium shows. This position will serve as backup for the VE Manager during vacations and time off.
In coordination with the VE Manager, this role will inspire and motivate VE Associates in providing a "wow" experience, in delivery of service and experience for public visitors in support of Chabot’s mission and achievement of its strategic goals.
- Greet and welcome visitors to the Center, answer questions, and assist visitors with pricing, ticket sales and center activities; Provide information to visitors regarding location of box office, restrooms, telephones, cafe, coat check, etc.
- Demonstrate knowledge of planetarium programs, memberships, exhibits, birthday parties, group sales, scout programs, facility rentals, school programs, and special events.
- Demonstrate capability to run ticketing software including ticketing, Altru or other similar systems.
- Demonstrate up-sale of memberships and advanced tickets sales. Run reports as assigned.
- Demonstrate ability to provide facility tour to visitors interested in facility rental, birthday party, scout event or group sales as needed.
- Responsible for assistance as needed for the implementation of training for ushering, birthday parties, scout host duties.
- Promote and monitor excellent quality of service among staff through training and by recognizing outstanding performance and service. Contribute to training meetings and exercises by identifying the team’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Be personally available to visitors to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns. Maintain training standards to ensure both product and systems expertise that will improve box office operations and allow for better customer service.
- Responsible for engaging with visitors, staff and volunteers throughout the Center to ensure a smooth and fun day for all; report safety, facility, and exhibit issues as needed to appropriate staff.
- Assists with Birthday Parties, Scout Programs and Special Events. Collaborate with the Visitor Experience team to guarantee the best experience for visitors.
- Work with team to ensure team provides visitors with a clean, fun and friendly atmosphere in the Discovery Lab.
- Performs direct sales and customer service; accurately and efficiently ring up sales and accurately maintain all cash at the registers.
- Coordinate Member Line Check-in on high traffic days as needed.
- Work with Visitor Experience Manager to allocate daily assignments within the shifts; ensuring that the Box Office, Planetarium and Discovery Lab requirements are covered during operating hours; fills in for staff as required during breaks and other absences.
- In compliance with labor laws, coordinate daily rest and meal break schedule for Visitor Experience Staff.
- Provides sales coordination and problem resolution for Visitor Experience staff;
- Resolves complaints for visitors on non-routine ticketing problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge Box Office policies and procedures when resolving problems.
- Maintain the appearance of box office area including brochures, signage, stanchions, and overall cleanliness of Center entrance. Responsible for restocking all marketing material throughout the Center.
- Assist in communicating all information to cashiers regarding special promotions, vouchers and discount items when backfilling for Coordinator.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality customer service.
- Assist with generating reports, verifying memberships, processing group sale transactions, and program scheduling.
- Submit Attendance reports to management and partners as needed.
- Candidate must have a working knowledge of basic IT networking, infrastructure and operations
- Demonstrated experience with AV systems and ability to troubleshoot technical systems as needed. Will work closely with IT team to train on systems for presentation and troubleshooting issues. Will also work with Content Developer to learn to present live planetarium shows with narrator.
- Set up cash drawers for daily operation as needed. Assume responsibility for opening and closing the box office and securing all assets. Follow all box office closing procedures including cash register closeout, securing funds in the safe, and signing in radios and box office keys.
- Performs cash management and basic accounting, and maintains sales records.
- Leads Ticket Kiosk sales, inventory, staffing and cash controls, and submit sales report.
- Oversee compliance of cashiers within shift in accordance with established Company policies and standards, such as safekeeping of company funds and property, personnel practices, security, sales, and record-keeping procedures.
- Balances the departmental change fund on a regular basis.
- Keeps daily sales records for each event and deposits funds collected.
- Perform special projects as assigned
- This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- High school diploma or GED with 6 months to 1- year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Prior experience handling money in a fast paced, high pressure customer-facing environment
- Honesty and reliability required
- Commitment and ability to deliver excellent customer service
- Supervision experience a plus
Status & Scope
- Knowledge of museum ticketing systems a plus.
- Knowledge of AV systems, high computer literacy skills and troubleshooting technical needs a plus.
- Ability to communicate verbally to visitors and staff.
- Ability to operate a computerized cash register.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic cash management procedures.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Ability to run planetarium shows and oversee shows on weekend evenings.
- Ability to handle customer concerns/questions in a timely manner.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service on a consistent basis.
This is a part-time position. Hourly salary is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.