Employment & Internships
Chabot Space & Science Center has an excellent career opportunity for a highly motivated, detail-oriented professional with a passion for sales and events. This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual who likes to take ownership, deliver excellent customer service, and have fun in their work. The ideal candidate will be able to work a flexible schedule including weekends. The Sales Coordinator is an integral position within the Visitor Experience & Education department.
As an institution with over 131 years of rich history, you will be working as part of a dynamic, hardworking and fun team and in collaboration with multiple departments to implement a sales plan, achieve or surpass budget projections for all earned revenue channels including facility rentals, meetings, weddings, corporate groups and other events as assigned.
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Sales Manager, this position is responsible for all aspects of cultivating, selling, booking, scheduling, coordinating and hosting facility rentals, weddings, corporate events and other events as assigned. This role will also identify and deliver new and returning sales opportunities fulfilling the company’s long term goal.
- Responsible for selling Chabot facility rentals, weddings, team buildings, and corporate events with an emphasis on vertical sales.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and professionalism when conducting facility tours with potential clients.
- Prepares proposals, identifies value-added opportunities for sales clients, outlines: details of proposed functions and books the sale.
- Prepares and disseminates contracts and quotes.
- Responds promptly to telephone, email and in-person inquires from prospects about their sales needs. Follows up with phone calls and confirmation letters to ensure clients are well informed of event times, bookings and Chabot policies and procedures. Writes and/or makes thank you calls to appropriate individual or groups following each event.
- Coordinates with internal teams to book initial sale, resources, space, staffing, etc.
- Books sale, deposit and reservation into the Altru reservation system.
- Communicates and coordinates with appropriate internal personnel to ensure a well coordinated and positive visitor experience.
- Books deposits to reserve space/event date, follows up on payments, receives revenue and books revenue into Altru ensuring prompt payment. Follow up as necessary to receive timely payment from clients.
- Develops and maintains report on how clients heard about Chabot, effectiveness of marketing tools, breakdown on numbers of groups, types of groups and Chabot geographic catchment.
- Assists groups in planning and preparing of activities during visits, aids in problem solving efforts as appropriate.
- Informs facility, café, store, observatory, security and other staff of events that impact normal operating procedures, services and hours of operation.
- Hosts and directs guests and outside vendors to designated spaces for events.
- Inspects facility during close of events to ensure compliance of event policies.
- Prepares, monitors and reports weekly on sales revenue forecasts and actual reports and with monthly summary report.
- Actively promote the use of Chabot Space & Science Center facility as a convention, meeting, seminar, training, tradeshow, wedding, party or other special event venue. Promotion occurs through personal contact, public speaking, sales calls - in person and through telephone, direct mail, and outreach and website promotion.
- Target potential leads and participate in outbound cold calls, trades shows and conferences. Develop strategies for reaching key markets: Tour & Travel, Parks & Recreation, etc., but not limited to the markets above.
- Represent Chabot at appropriate events, meetings and other functions as it relates to facility rentals and outreach.
- Coordinate with Sales Manager on sales strategy to maximize awareness and sales to corporate, team building, wedding and other groups. Demonstrate thorough knowledge of competition and market conditions.
- Works closely with Sales Manager on communications tools needed to attract new business.
- Prepare and deliver sales, budget forecast reports on timely basis.
- Other projects and duties as assigned, by the Sales Manager.
- Follows all CSSC safety regulations.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Strong sales and negotiation skills, resourcefulness to conduct independent research and gather information to fully understand the market and strong analytical skills.
- Proven track record of closing sales
- Must be able to work independently and juggle multiple projects.
- Excellent sales skills for facility rentals, team building, corporate events, and weddings with emphasis on vertical sales.
- Highly organized and able to anticipate, initiate, prioritize and manage multiple tasks in meticulous detail.
- Excellent time-management skills; both personal and project based.
- Excellent people skills; ability to instill confidence with clients is key.
- Professional presentation including phone etiquette and personal appearance.
- Responsible, outgoing and friendly, with exceptional people and customer service skills.
- Ability to take initiative and possesses excellent follow through skills.
- Ability to anticipate, identify and resolve conflict and issues independently, think creatively and offer solutions.
- Exceptional communications skills required; listening, verbal and written.
- Ability to speak a second language a plus.
- Intermediate computer skills required; MS Office - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, as well as be able to master Altru software to record all bookings and create reports and graphs.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends for client events and walkthroughs.
- Minimum 2 to 3 years experience in sales and client relations in hospitality/hotel/convention center/museum/theatre or related field.
- Previous experience working with corporate clients preferred.
Hourly salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.