Employment & Internships
Sales & Box Office Coordinator
Reporting to the Visitor Experience Manager, this highly visible position will oversee the day-to-day operations of the box office team and planetarium shows while serving as Manager on Duty and is responsible for all aspects of cultivating, selling, booking, scheduling, and coordinating Chabot’s group sales and other revenue generating group events. This position involves creating an unforgettable experience for new and returning visitors and supporting the day-to-day delivery of “wow” customer service combined with identifying and delivering new and returning sales opportunities.
Working closely with the VE Operations & Box Office Coordinator, the Visitor Experience Manager and the Senior Manager of Visitor Experience, this key role will oversee the promotion and execution of group sales, provide box office team leadership, clerical and accounting support, and support Center programs as needed. This role implements the training for cross functional activities for the visitor experience associates. This is an excellent career opportunity for a highly motivated, detail-oriented professional with a passion for sales and an individual who likes to take ownership, deliver excellent customer service, and have fun in their work. The individual in this role will be required to work evenings and weekends.
Group Sales Duties
- Responsible for selling Chabot’s traditional group sales as well as develop, sell, oversee and deliver private overnights, corporate team building and specialty group sales.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and professionalism when conducting sales calls and facility tours with potential clients.
- Actively promote the use of Chabot Space & Science Center facility as a group visit destination. Promotion occurs in a variety of ways, including personal contact, public speaking, sales calls - in person and through telephone, direct mail, and outreach and website promotion.
- Develop new group revenue generating programs and map out descriptions, costs, instructions, training and implementation.
- Prepare proposal for appropriate sales types as required.
- Prepare and manage group sales contracts as required.
- Respond promptly to telephone, email and in-person inquiries from prospects. Follow up with phone calls and confirmation letters to ensure clients are well informed of event times, bookings and Chabot policies and procedures.
- Deliver thank you calls to appropriate individuals or groups following each event.
- Manage and report out on visitor surveys as required.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal teams to book initial sale, confirm space availability, schedule staffing and ensure a well-coordinated and positive visitor experience.
- Book sales and deposits to reserve space/event date, follow up on payments, receive revenue and book revenue into VISTA ensuring prompt payment. Follow up as necessary to receive timely payment from clients.
- Develop and maintain reporting process to capture effectiveness of marketing tools and group demographics.
- Assist groups in planning and preparing activities during visits, aids in problem solving efforts as appropriate.
- Assist internal staff with coordinating logistics, planning, managing, and executing internal public events.
- Prepare, monitor and report out weekly and monthly sales revenues and costs.
- Coordinate with Senior Manager of Visitor Experience to target potential leads and develop sales strategy and communications tools to maximize awareness of programs.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of competition and market conditions.
- Reviews materials and appropriate website pages and submits updates regularly.
Manager on Duty Responsibilities
- Set up cash drawers for daily operation. Assume responsibility for opening and closing the box office and securing all assets. Follow all box office closing procedures including cash register closeout, securing funds in the safe, and signing in radios and box office keys.
- Perform cash management and basic accounting, and maintains sales records.
- Oversee compliance of cashiers within shift in accordance with established Company policies and standards, such as safekeeping of company funds and property, personnel practices, security, sales, and record-keeping procedures.
- Balance the departmental change fund on a regular basis.
- Conducts facility walkthroughs to engage with visitors and proactively solve issues to ensure a safe and fun day for all.
- Demonstrate knowledge of planetarium programs, memberships, exhibits, birthday parties, group sales, scout programs, facility rentals, school programs, and special events.
- Demonstrate capability to run Vista Ticketing software including ticketing, museumtix and backoffice.
- Demonstrate up-sale of memberships and advanced tickets sales. Run reports as assigned.
- Promote and monitor excellent quality of service among staff through training and by recognizing outstanding performance and service. Contribute to training meetings and exercises by identifying the team’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Be personally available to visitors to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns. Maintain training standards to ensure both product and systems expertise that will improve box office operations and allow for better customer service.
- Assist with Birthday Parties, Scout Programs and Special Events. Collaborate with the Visitor Experience team to guarantee the best experience for visitors.
- Ensure team provides visitors with a clean, fun and friendly atmosphere in the Discovery Lab.
- Allocate daily assignments within the shifts; ensuring that the Box Office, Planetarium and Discovery Lab requirements are covered during operating hours; fill in for staff as required during breaks and other absences.
- In compliance with labor laws, coordinate daily rest and meal break schedule for Visitor Experience Staff.
- Submit Attendance reports to management and partners as needed.
- Perform special projects as assigned
This list of duties and responsibilities is not to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Strong sales and negotiation skills, resourcefulness to conduct independent research and gather information to fully understand the market.
- Highly organized and able to anticipate, initiate, prioritize and manage multiple tasks in meticulous detail.
- Excellent time-management skills; both personal and project based.
- Excellent people skills; ability to instill confidence with clients is key.
- Professional presentation including phone etiquette and personal appearance.
- Responsible, outgoing and friendly, with exceptional people and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office suite including Excel, Word, Outlook and Access.
- Knowledge of Vista ticketing systems a plus.
- Ability to work nights & weekends.
- Ability to operate a computerized cash register. Knowledge of basic cash management procedures.
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork.
- Ability to handle customer concerns/questions in a timely manner.
- Minimum 1 to 2 years of experience in retail sales, hospitality/hotel/convention center/museum/theatre or related.
- Minimum 1 to 2 years of experience with supervising and motivating teams.
- Previous experience working with the public, groups, birthdays, scout leaders preferred.
- Prior experience handling money in a fast paced, high pressure customer-facing environment
- Supervision experience.
Hourly salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.