Employment & Internships
Chief Operating and Financial Officer (COO/CFO)
Chabot Space & Science Center (CSSC) is currently seeking a Chief Operating and Financial Officer (COO/CFO) who is sharp, detailed, personable, even keeled and an effective leader. This is an executive position requiring extensive financial management, programmatic and operational knowledge. Under the direction of the CEO, the COO/CFO will assist in the overall leadership and direction of the Chabot Space & Science Center and staff. This role will ensure the effective utilization of CSSC’s personnel, financial and physical resources in a manner that is consistent with our operating objectives approved within the annual budgets and/or business plans.
This position is responsible for overseeing the organization's daily operations and enhancing internal processes to help the nonprofit grow and fulfill its mission. They accomplish these goals by developing short- and long-term strategies, ensuring that systems perform at an optimal level and producing top-quality services while decreasing costs and increasing revenues.
The Chief Operating and Financial Officer (COO/CFO) is the second senior position at the Chabot Space & Science Center and serves as a member of the senior management team. The COO/CFO will have day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling business, program and financial activities of the organization. Additionally, the COO/CFO is responsible directly and through his(her) direct reports for accounting, finance, budgeting, forecasting, strategic planning, cash management, regulatory compliance, risk management, programming and facilities management.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Responsible to the CEO for the organization’s overall financial management.
- Provide leadership to senior staff team on strategic, financial and administrative operations of the Center and assist them with preparation of key operating statistics to monitor their areas of operations.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking in planning for the organizations short and long term financial future.
- Work closely with the department heads to enhance financial model and suggest and implement cost saving strategies, including leading and managing the overall budgeting process and holding department heads accountable for budget variances.
- Responsible for making sure systems of internal controls are in place to safeguard the organizations assets.
- Oversee and be responsible for the activities of the Finance Department, including accounting, compliance of contracts, the annual budget, reporting, payroll and cash management.
- Oversee the coordination and activities of independent auditors and the preparation of the annual financial statements and footnotes, Form 990 tax filings and other regulatory reporting.
- Attend Board, Audit, Executive and Finance Committee meetings, ensuring all meetings comply with the Brown Act and Sunshine Laws.
- Prepare briefings and reports for Board, Executive and Finance Committee meetings that provide information and insight on the financial and programmatic operations of CSSC .
- Oversee business insurance plans and health care coverage administration and analysis.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with senior executives so as to identify their needs and provide advice on the strategic and financial implications of business activities.
- Oversee program areas; ensuring they are delivered with quality, work collaboratively and adhere to the overall mission and vision of the organization while remaining sustainable.
- BS in Business Administration or Accounting, with CPA or MBA preferred
- Demonstrated high level of leadership and managerial skills with a minimum of 15 years in progressively responsible operational leadership roles.
- Extensive knowledge of Not-for-profit fund accounting in accordance with U.S.
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles to provide financial and budgetary oversight.
- Ability to manage across multiple disciplines simultaneously.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in FP&A, cash forecasting, budgeting, financial reporting, auditing, internal control creation and compliance.
- Knowledge and experience with Governmental grant management and reporting
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Ability to work effectively and expediently in a team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Technologically savvy to manage the organizations IT strategy and systems.
- Expert in Microsoft Office products
Salary for this position is commensurate with other non-profit organizations and will be commensurate with experience.
Job location is Oakland
- This is at a non-profit organization.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.
Mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Chabot Space & Science Center
10000 Skyline Blvd,
Oakland, CA 94619
* * We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
CSSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.