Chabot's historic 20" Warner and Swasey refracting telescope, installed at Chabot Observatory in 1915, was commissioned in 1914 from Warner & Swasey, with optics by John Brashear. This telescope was named "Rachel."
In June 1999, Rachel was removed from the site where she had served the public for 75 years. Extensive dismantling, cleaning, and refurbishment were performed. Early in 2000, Rachel was installed in her new dome at the new Chabot Space & Science Center.