Hours & Directions

MON, TUE: Closed

WED & THU : 10am - 5pm

FRI & SAT : 10am - 10pm

SUN : 10am - 5pm

Leah

Chabot's historic 8" Alvan Clark refractor telescope is the original 1883 instrument donated by founder Anthony Chabot.

In 1883, Anthony Chabot, a successful hydraulic engineer and provider of water to the City of Oakland, agreed to fund an 8-inch telescope. Mr. Chabot subsequently funded the new observatory as well, which opened in downtown Oakland on November 24th of the same year.